With stylish and trendy bedroom window designs the major purpose of the bedroom is to give its owner peace of mind and a good night’s sleep. The task should make use of every aspect of the room’s design, including the window accents. We learn how to design a window in a bedroom so that it blends in with the surroundings and comprehends the different types of curtains and the subtleties of their selection.
The subtleties of choosing textiles
The simplest method to improve the ambiance is with curtains that elegantly frame the window. Designers advise waiting until the repair is totally finished before beginning window design. Because the window decor is chosen in accordance with the room’s design and the outcome isn’t always visible before the repair job is finished, this method will help you avoid mistakes.
Whichever purpose of the curtains will be most important will have an impact on the material selection. If their function is primarily decorative, you can stop at transparent, light materials. If the owners’ desire for adequate sleep becomes a priority, dense, consistently natural light-blocking materials are preferred. It helps to keep in mind the following details while selecting a fabric:
- They strive to choose hypoallergenic bedding for the bedroom. This requirement is best met by flax and cotton. They might shrink, require ironing, and lose their appearance after repeated washings, making them challenging to use.
- Мixed materials They mix the best features of synthetic and natural fibers. Mixed materials are less expensive and more useful to utilize than natural ones. A blended fabric can frequently only be distinguished from a natural cloth by touch.
- Velvet, corduroy, and velour are examples of heavy, dense fabrics that have a fascinating feel and produce curtains that appear very opulent. However, they are the best dust collectors, so you’ll need to take extra care of them if you want to keep their beauty for a long time.
- Don’t try to cut corners or use synthetics when buying curtains. Natural materials (such as linen, viscose, and silk) are eco-friendly, and fashionable, and burn out more gradually when exposed to ultraviolet light from the sun. If money is tight, go with a blended material.
It should be thick enough to make the room dark. By bringing the canvas up to a light source and seeing through it, you can examine this capacity prior to purchasing. There are materials designed specifically to block light that is suited for the bedroom window’s decor. They are displayed in two lines:
- Dimout. It passes gentle, diffused light while delaying 70–90% of solar energy. 95–100% of artificial night lighting is suppressed.
- Blackout. is the cloth that is completely blocking off the light. Despite almost completely absorbing light, the material can be both light and dark, including when printed.
Color selection and interior
They follow the general interior design when deciding on the color of the window decor, keeping in mind their personal preferences and the architectural details of the bedroom. Concentrating on these guidelines is the simplest strategy:
- They strive to avoid using fruity and bright colors in the bedroom (unless the style requires it).
- All textiles, including curtains, upholstery, and bed linen, should have complementary color schemes.
- The drapes’ hue should complement the color of the walls, not blend into them. To do this, pick a cloth that is two or three tones different from the wall décor. The guideline does not always hold true; on occasion, it is preferable to have contrasting bedroom windows.
- If they do not clash with the overall color scheme, pastel, and beige tones are the best choice for bedroom curtains. They work with any design approach.
Curtains and design
Choose a two-layer set on the floor with a basic cut and serene colors for a bedroom that is furnished in the classic style. The set features thick drapes with few folds that are accented by a thin tulle covering that is translucent (organza or veil). The following choices are suitable for different interior design types:
- Upscale classics (Baroque and Rococo). The boudoir room’s decor will be emphasized by regal curtains with ornate folds made of pricey fabrics.
- Provence. A window decoration made of the same light and light material will be ideal for a bright interior. The cloth is either plain, has a narrow stripe, or is printed with or without flowers.
- Minimalist design, Scandinavian. The window’s serene design is highlighted, free of superfluous embellishments, and in a light color scheme. Tulles and drapes with a straightforward cut in the same color can be used to embellish the bedroom window.
- Modern. The window’s design serves as a visual representation of the style’s quest for luxury. For ornamentation, pricey cloth is used; the color can be either vibrant or subdued, such as brown, tobacco, purple, or pearl gray. It is feasible to employ lambrequins and an asymmetric cut.
- Modern fashions. Models of straight-cut curtains with an additional layer of translucent cloth are recommended. There are no color limits, however, light and pastel tones are becoming more popular.
The convenience of usage is a factor that is increasingly considered when choosing window decor for bedrooms. It makes sense to concentrate on a basic design with a straight cut for owners who are unsure of how to choose a window design for the bedroom or how to design a window in the bedroom. Thick drapes with light tulle added to them always look lovely.
This decoration has several advantages. It may be sewed by yourself, is practical to use, and requires little maintenance. Color can be used to highlight the style. The primary curtain is made of blackout material if the window faces south.
The characteristics of the room and the style might impact the choice of curtain design and color; the following possibilities are typical:
- On the first floor is the bedroom. It will be appropriate to want to keep the internal area hidden from prying eyes. The same traditional double-layer curtains to the floor will work to prevent the bedroom from fitting in the palm of your hand. Roller blinds with an open style or pleated blinds are both attractive window treatment options.
Having suspended or suspended ceilings in the bedroom. You may keep the design simple using this ceiling style. On two- and three-row profile cornices, curtains are most frequently fastened. The mount is recessed into a certain area of the ceiling where it vanishes. The mount can be closed with ceiling molding on a typical ceiling.
- If the windows face south, cold-toned fabrics will help to refresh the space. Textiles in warm colors are a good choice for northern windows; they will help create a sense of comfort in the room.
- Roman curtains are appropriate for decorating window openings in both traditional and contemporary settings. A wide range of colors and styles allows you to find a model to match your personal style. Roman curtains are easy to use and can be combined with thick curtains or tulle.
Correcting the shortcomings of the window
The size of the window opening is sometimes disproportionate to the size of the room. In this case, properly chosen curtains will aid in the restoration of harmony. In the bedroom, the following window design options are used for correction:
- A room with a small window. It is best to order a cornice that spans the entire width of the wall and double-layer the curtains. Curtains in the open form will cover the edges of the opening and the side walls, making the window appear larger than it is. If a cornice cannot be made for the entire wall, it must be at least half a meter wider than the opening.
- A large (panoramic) window. The task is the inverse of the previous one: curtains on both sides of the window cover the opening part. As a result, the window appears smaller while losing little natural light. The proportions will be more accurate if the panoramic window is divided in the middle by an additional canvas.
- There is a balcony door. Do not try to conceal the balcony opening with a plethora of draperies. The simplest single-color design is the best way out; on the one hand, you can make a pick-up.
- There are two windows. If the openings are on the same wall, they are connected by a common cornice, and the decor can be shared or separated, depending on the windows’ relative position. If the openings are on adjacent walls, a corner ceiling cornice and double-layer curtains are a good choice. A transparent layer can be shared, and the number of blackout curtains can be reduced to three: two on the sides and one in the corner.
- A small window. The cornice is attached to the ceiling; ideally, it is concealed, such as beneath the ceiling skirting board.
- The bay window. It is easier to decorate it with Roman curtains or a combined drapery.
Briefly about the main thing
Window decor is a unique aspect of bedroom design; not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but it also serves a functional purpose. The selection of textiles for window decoration begins with a focus on quality and light transmission.
The color and model are chosen based on the room’s style; the design is frequently determined by the architectural and technical features of the room. If the window is of a disproportionate size, the problem can be solved by selecting the appropriate curtains.
I joined Appartenville in February 2021 as a content editor. After studying English literature at university, I worked as an e-commerce website editor, content author, and purchasing intern for several independent luxury and lifestyle retail companies. My role at Appartenville combines my love, experience, and passion for the world of design and the desire to create inspiring written content. As for my personal style, I am a big fan of color and drawing, especially I like the pastel color scheme. I also enjoy discovering new trends, brands, and products, whether it’s fashion, interior design, or lifestyle my wish list for buying new things is endless.