Candles as a decoration: romance and comfort.One of the simplest ways to use candles as decor is by selecting stylish candle holders that match your living room aesthetic. Whether you prefer sleek and modern designs or vintage and orange pieces, candle holders can enhance the visual appeal of your space while providing a safe and stable base for your candles.
When it comes to decorating your living space with candles, it’s important to select the right ones that not only provide a captivating flame but also enhance the overall aesthetics of the room. Enter interior candles, specially designed to elevate your decor and add a personal touch to your space.
Interior candles go beyond their functional purpose and offer high decorative qualities, allowing you to emphasize the individuality of your room. With a wide range of styles, shapes, and scents available, you can find the perfect interior candles to complement your interior design theme.
A little history
The history of candles stretches back thousands of years, with their evolution closely tied to the need for lighting spaces during the night. The earliest prototypes of candles were simple hollowed-out stones filled with animal fats, providing a long-lasting flame.
This method of lighting dates back to the 1st millennium BC, when cloth or slivers were used as wicks immersed in vessels filled with oil or fat.
In the 15th century, beeswax emerged as a new material for candle production. These candles burned cleanly without producing smoke, but their high cost made them a luxury only affordable for the wealthy. During this period, candles served as a necessary and essential element of lighting in households.
The 18th century witnessed the development of whaling, and from the upper part of cetacean heads, spermaceti was extracted to create candles. This further expanded the availability of lighting options. In the 19th century, the discovery of paraffin revolutionized the candle industry, making lighting more accessible and widespread.
With the invention of electricity in the modern era, candles gradually transitioned from being a primary light source to serving ritualistic and decorative purposes. Today, candles are cherished for their aesthetic appeal and the ambiance they create, adding warmth, romance, and tranquility to various spaces.
From humble beginnings to their present decorative significance, candles have played an important role in illuminating our lives throughout history, leaving a legacy of both functionality and beauty.
What kind of candle is there?
In today’s interiors, various types of candles are utilized to enhance the atmosphere and aesthetics. Here are some common varieties:
- Everyday Candles: These are simple, plain candles that serve the basic function of providing light. They are often unscented and come in various shapes and sizes.
- Aromatic Candles: These candles are infused with fragrant oils or essential oils, releasing a pleasant aroma when lit. They not only illuminate the space but also create a soothing and aromatic ambiance.
- Decorative Candles: Decorative candles are designed with elegant shapes, intricate patterns, and vibrant colors. They are crafted to be visually appealing and can serve as statement pieces in the room’s decor.
- Floating Candles: These are small, flat candles especially designed to float on water. They add a unique and enchanting touch when placed in bowls, vases, or pools, creating a serene and magical effect.
- Hemp Candles: Hemp candles have a unique feature where paraffin accumulates in a hollow space around the wick, preventing the wax from dripping excessively.
- Gel Candles: Made from a special gel-like substance, these candles offer a transparent and modern look. They can be adorned with decorative elements such as shells, flowers, or beads, creating a captivating visual display.
- Large decorative candles are particularly favored by designers and property owners looking to add a touch of uniqueness and warmth to their interiors. They serve as focal points and contribute to the overall ambiance and charm of the space. Whether they are placed on mantels, dining tables, or as part of a decorative arrangement, these candles bring a cozy and inviting atmosphere to any room.
Candles can be a versatile and enchanting addition to various rooms in the house. Here are some ways candles can enhance different spaces:
- Living Rooms and Bedrooms: Placing candles in living rooms or bedrooms creates a cozy and intimate atmosphere. They can be arranged on coffee tables, mantels, or nightstands, adding a soft and warm glow to the space. Candles can be used during gatherings or quiet evenings, providing a relaxing and romantic ambiance.
- Bathrooms: Candles in the bathroom create a spa-like experience, transforming it into a serene and tranquil retreat. They can be placed on the edges of the bathtub, countertops, or shelves, creating a soothing and calming atmosphere during baths or self-care rituals.
- Dining Areas: Candles on dining tables add an elegant touch to meals and gatherings. They create a warm and inviting atmosphere for shared meals, enhancing the dining experience. Taper candles in candle holders or a centerpiece arrangement can create a sophisticated and intimate setting.
- Outdoor Spaces: Candles can be used to decorate outdoor areas such as patios, balconies, or gardens. They can be placed in lanterns or hurricane holders to protect the flame from wind. Outdoor candles add a magical and cozy ambiance, perfect for summer evenings or special occasions.
- When creating compositions with candles, the variety of sizes, shapes, and styles allows for customization according to the individual design style. Whether it’s a rustic arrangement with pillar candles and natural elements, or a modern display with sleek and minimalist votive candles, candles can be used as decorative accents to complement the overall aesthetic of the space.
In Scandinavian interiors, candles play a significant role in creating a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. The concept of “hygge” in Danish culture emphasizes the importance of creating a sense of well-being and coziness in one’s home. Candles are seen as an essential element in achieving this ambiance.
Scandinavians appreciate soft and warm lighting that brings a feeling of serenity and security to their living spaces. Candles are not only reserved for nighttime but are also commonly used during the day to enhance the overall atmosphere. The gentle flickering of candlelight adds a touch of magic and creates a calming environment.
In Scandinavian homes, candles as a decoration you’ll often find candles placed on windowsills, coffee tables, and dining tables. They are used in various formats, such as pillar candles, tea lights, or candlesticks, allowing for versatility in installing and creating visual interest.
The use of candles in Scandinavian design goes beyond mere lighting. They are valued for their ability to evoke a sense of relaxation, encourage intimate conversations, and promote a slower pace of life. The soft glow of candles creates a warm and inviting ambiance, making any space more welcoming and comfortable.
Whether enjoying a cup of coffee with a book, gathering with loved ones, or simply unwinding after a long day, Scandinavian interiors embrace the use of candles to enhance the overall feeling of hygge and create a cozy haven within the home.
Create a composition
Creating a composition with candles can add a beautiful and captivating element to your interior. Here’s how you can create a stunning candle arrangement:
- Choose candles of different heights: Select candles in various sizes to create visual interest. Combining tall, medium, and short candles will add depth to the composition.
- Incorporate natural materials: Enhance the beauty of the candles by pairing them with natural elements such as flowers, stones, shells, cones, or fir branches. These organic materials provide texture and a touch of nature to the arrangement.
- Stick to a color scheme: To maintain a cohesive look, choose candles and natural materials that are in the same or similar color palette. Harmonizing the colors will create a visually pleasing composition.
- Use a tray, wooden box, or basket: Place the candles and natural elements on a tray, a wooden box with low sides, or a basket. This will provide a foundation for the composition and add a sense of cohesion. Opt for materials that complement the style of your interior, such as a rustic wooden tray or a sleek metal container.
- Arrange in a balanced manner: Arrange the candles and natural elements in a balanced way, considering their heights and shapes. Play with different layouts until you achieve a visually pleasing arrangement. You can place taller candles in the back and shorter ones in the front, or create a cluster of candles with natural materials around them.
- Consider the location: Decide on the ideal location for your candle composition. It could be a coffee table, a mantelpiece, a sideboard, or a dining table. Take into account the size of the space and the surrounding decor to ensure that the composition complements the overall aesthetic.
Complete relaxation in the bathroom
- Place candles strategically: Position candles on the shelf or countertop in your bathroom, where they can be easily seen and enjoyed. Consider placing them near the bathtub, around the sink area, or on a windowsill. The soft glow of the candles will create a soothing and intimate atmosphere.
- Opt for scented candles: Choose scented candles with calming fragrances such as lavender, eucalyptus, or chamomile. The gentle aroma will add an extra layer of relaxation to your bathing ritual, creating a spa-like experience in your own home.
- Use candle holders or trays: Place the candles in stylish candle holders or on decorative trays to elevate their appearance. This will not only keep them secure but also add a touch of elegance to your bathroom decor.
- Consider flameless candles: If safety is a concern or if you prefer a worry-free option, consider using flameless LED candles. These candles provide a realistic flickering effect without the risk of an open flame, making them ideal for the bathroom environment.
- Set the mood with dim lighting: Create a serene atmosphere by dimming the main lights and relying on the gentle glow of the candles. This soft, ambient lighting will promote relaxation and help you unwind.
- Practice candle safety: Always prioritize safety when using candles in the bathroom. Keep them away from flammable materials, never leave them unattended, and ensure they are extinguished before leaving the room or going to bed.
Romantic mood in the bedroom
Adding candles to your bedside table can create a romantic and soothing atmosphere, promoting relaxation and helping you prepare for a restful sleep. Here are some important rules to keep in mind:
- Maintain a safe distance: Ensure that the candles are placed at a safe distance from any flammable objects such as curtains, papers, or fabrics. This will help prevent accidents and maintain a fire-safe environment.
- Extinguish before sleep: Before you drift off to sleep, make sure to extinguish all candle flames. Never leave candles burning unattended, especially when you are asleep or leaving the room.
- Proper ventilation: After using candles, it’s important to ventilate the room to eliminate any lingering smoke or odors. Open a window or turn on a fan to ensure proper air circulation.
By following these guidelines, you can enjoy the cozy and calming ambiance that candles provide while ensuring your safety and peace of mind. Candles can enhance the atmosphere in your bedroom, adding a touch of romance and tranquility to your sleep routine.
Put it on the kitchen table
Introducing candles into the kitchen interior can add a touch of warmth and charm, especially when placed in the dining area. Consider the following ideas to make candles a traditional decor element in your kitchen:
- Dining table centerpiece: Arrange candles on the dining table to create an inviting atmosphere. Use candlesticks of different heights and styles to add visual interest. You can also place them on a decorative tray to create a cohesive look.
- Romantic dinners: By incorporating candles into your dining area, you’ll be inspired to have more romantic dinners at home. The soft glow of candlelight sets a cozy ambiance, making your dining experience more special and memorable.
- Theme-based arrangements: Tailor the candles to match your kitchen’s style or a specific occasion. For a rustic kitchen, use candles in mason jars or natural materials like wooden candle holders. For a more elegant setting, opt for sleek and modern candle holders in metallic finishes.
- Safety precautions: While enjoying candles in the kitchen, remember to place them away from any flammable objects and never leave them unattended. Ensure that the candles are securely placed on stable surfaces and keep them out of reach of children or pets.
By incorporating candles into your kitchen’s decor, you can create an inviting and cozy atmosphere, making meal times and special occasions even more enjoyable.
Coffee table decor
To enhance the ambiance of your living room, placing candles on the table in front of the sofa can be a traditional and stylish choice. Here are some tips to make the most of this decor idea:
- Opt for elegant candlesticks: Choose thin and tall candlesticks that exude elegance and sophistication. Look for designs that complement your living room’s style, whether it’s modern, classic, or eclectic. Metallic finishes like brass or silver can add a touch of glamour.
- Create a balanced arrangement: Arrange the candlesticks symmetrically or in a visually pleasing composition on the table. You can place them at varying heights or use different sizes for added interest. Make sure to leave enough space for other items on the table, such as a vase of flowers or decorative objects.
- Consider the candle colors: Select candles in colors that complement your living room’s color palette. Neutral tones like white or ivory are versatile and timeless, while bold colors can add a pop of vibrancy if desired. Coordinate the candle colors with the overall decor for a cohesive look.
- Mind the safety precautions: When using candlesticks, ensure they are placed securely and stable on the table to prevent accidents. Keep them away from flammable objects and never leave them unattended. Consider using flameless LED candles for a safer alternative that still provides a warm glow.
By incorporating stylish candlesticks on the table in front of your sofa, you can create an inviting and visually appealing focal point in your living room. The soft glow of the candles will add warmth and a cozy ambiance, enhancing the overall atmosphere of the space.
Magic on the windowsill
Integrating a candlestick into your window decor alongside indoor plants, books, or figurines can add a charming touch to your space. Here are some suggestions to make the most of this idea:
- Choose a suitable location: Select a window sill or a dedicated shelf near the window where you can place the candlestick. Ensure that it doesn’t obstruct the view or pose any safety risks.
- Combine with decorative elements: Arrange the candlestick alongside indoor plants, books, or figurines to create an attractive and balanced display. Consider the overall theme and style of your decor, and select complementary items that enhance the visual appeal.
- Create depth with layers: Place a few books or a stack of magazines as a base for the candlestick to add height and dimension to the arrangement. You can also incorporate decorative figurines or small ornaments to further enhance the composition.
- Reflect the magic: The glass of the window will beautifully reflect the candlelight, creating a magical and cozy atmosphere. Experiment with different candle heights, sizes, and colors to achieve the desired effect. Be mindful of safety precautions and never leave lit candles unattended.
- Consider natural light: During the daytime, natural light filtering through the window will complement the warm glow of the candles. Arrange the display in a way that allows the candles to catch the light and create a captivating interplay between natural and artificial illumination.
By incorporating a candlestick into your window decor and pairing it with indoor plants, books, or figurines, you can create an enchanting and visually appealing composition. The reflection of candlelight in the glass will add a touch of magic to your space, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere both during the day and at night.
Make unusual candles with your own hands
Creating your own decorative candles can be a fun and creative project. Here are some simple steps to make your own candles:
- Gather the materials: You will need an inexpensive candle to melt down, molds (such as shells, orange halves, jars, or cups), wax crayons for coloring (optional), and any decorative elements you want to incorporate (such as burlap, twine, lace, or paints).
- Prepare the mold: Clean and dry the chosen mold thoroughly. If using a jar, you can decorate it with burlap, twine, lace, or paints before pouring the melted wax.
- Melt the candle: Create a double boiler by placing a heat-safe container or pot filled with water on the stove. Place the inexpensive candle in a smaller heat-safe container or can and place it in the pot of water. Gently heat the water, melting the candle wax. If desired, add melted wax crayons to the mixture to achieve the desired color.
- Pour the wax: Carefully pour the melted wax into the prepared mold. If using jars, fill them about one-third full with coffee beans, sand, or stones before pouring the wax. This will create a decorative base for the candles.
- Insert the wick: While the wax is still liquid, insert a pre-waxed wick into the center of the candle. Hold the wick in place until the wax starts to solidify, ensuring it remains centered.
- Let it cool and solidify: Allow the candle to cool and solidify completely. This process may take a few hours, depending on the size and thickness of the candle.
- Decorate (optional): Once the candle is fully solidified, you can decorate the exterior with additional elements like ribbons, twine, or other decorative materials. Be sure to use non-flammable materials and keep them away from the flame.
By following these steps, and саndless as a decoration you can create your own unique and personalized candles using various molds and decorative elements. Whether it’s shells, jars, or cups, let your creativity shine, and enjoy the process of making your own decorative candles.
Absolutely! Candles have the power to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in any apartment. With their flickering glow and aromatic scents, they can instantly transform the ambiance and add a touch of elegance and coziness to the space.
The placement of candles can be a creative and personal choice, allowing you to tailor the decor to your own taste and style. From the living room to the bathroom, and even the kitchen, candles can be strategically placed to enhance the overall aesthetic and create a relaxing and soothing environment.
Whether you choose to display them on a coffee table, arrange them on a dining table for a romantic dinner, or use them as a centerpiece on a mantel or shelf, candles can become an integral part of your interior design. You can also experiment with different sizes, shapes, and colors to create visually appealing compositions.
Furthermore, candles offer versatility in terms of decoration. You can pair them with natural elements like flowers, stones, or branches to create a harmonious blend of organic and luminous beauty. Mixing and matching candle holders, trays, or baskets can also add a sense of cohesion and completeness to the arrangement.
Remember to consider safety precautions when using candles, such as keeping them away from flammable objects, extinguishing them before leaving the room, and ensuring proper ventilation. By following these guidelines and allowing your creativity to shine, you can truly elevate your apartment’s atmosphere and create a special mood with the charming presence of candles.
I joined Appartenville in February 2021 as a content editor. After studying English literature at university, I worked as an e-commerce website editor, content author, and purchasing intern for several independent luxury and lifestyle retail companies. My role at Appartenville combines my love, experience, and passion for the world of design and the desire to create inspiring written content. As for my personal style, I am a big fan of color and drawing, especially I like the pastel color scheme. I also enjoy discovering new trends, brands, and products, whether it’s fashion, interior design, or lifestyle my wish list for buying new things is endless.