Acoustic curtains are a good replacement for dense non—breathable double-glazed windows and multilayer sound insulation materials used for the construction of walls in the room. Dense curtains will not completely remove the sound coming into the room from the outside, but significantly minimize its passage. Usually, such noise reduction devices are used for recording studios and rooms in which walls are capable of reflecting sound. If you live in a busy area, and the noise of vehicles penetrating from the street prevents you from falling asleep, then we recommend reading today’s article to the end. We are ready to convince you that this is not a meaningless purchase.
The principle of operation of acoustic curtains
Prior to impulsively purchasing soundproof curtains for a room or apartment, choose the appropriate style and color. Consider which wall would be best for hanging textiles as well. You must gauge the volume of noise entering the space in order to accomplish this. You can do this by using a particular tool or by using your own hearing to assess the noise (which is much more reliable).
Let’s now define the dense curtain’s working principle. by draping a drape across a window or thin wall. Full-size curtains minimize the noise emanating from the curtain’s opposite side. As a result, he enters the room with a low decibel level, which frequently isn’t loud enough to wake up a person or cause him to become distracted from his work.
This effect is made possible by the curtain’s unique vinyl backing, which captures practically all of the sounds. All of the absorbed sounds simultaneously travel up the curtain’s insulating layer, where it is ultimately lost.
Оn that note Please take note that the cloth used to make noise-canceling curtains should not shed when wet processing is attempted or disintegrate when touched.
How to choose curtains with acoustic effect
The most important thing when selecting soundproof curtains is to avoid mistakes because doing so would prevent you from getting the desired result. As a result, we urge you to take the following advice seriously and address this matter more seriously:
- choose the size. First, choose where you need to conceal behind the curtains at home. Along with the width, gauge how high the window or wall is. In order for the insulating curtain to serve its purpose and also seem visually acceptable in the space, it should be twice as broad.
- When selecting a canvas, make sure it is thick enough. It should be several times thicker than regular curtains (the approximate thickness of the curtain combined with the noise-canceling lining is 5-7.5 cm); don’t forget to consider the weight of acoustic sound absorbers.
- Because unscrupulous sellers may deceive you. Curtains of this type typically weigh 7-9 kg. They are quite heavy, so the mounting location should be planned ahead of time (install a good cornice and drive deep brackets).
- Keep in mind the design. Tell the seller in the studio what principle your room is outfitted with; perhaps there are some specific details that highlight the interior. Show a photo of the room if possible. As a result, picking up the necessary canvas will be easy.
When selecting curtains for sound insulation inside the room, only solid models should be considered. Variants of two canvases will not efficiently perform their functions.
On that note! If only partial sound insulation is required, special acoustic fabrics should be used. However, these are made to order and are more commonly used in industrial settings to separate a room from noisy machines and other equipment.
Advantages of acoustic curtains
Acoustic curtains despite their meticulous design, noise-insulating curtains outperform their simpler counterparts. This is explained in more detail in the following list of benefits.
- Curtains serve a dual purpose: they absorb and block out street noise while also preventing passers-by from hearing what is going on in the room.
- The light transmission capacity of soundproof curtains is kept to a bare minimum, allowing them to be used as night curtains.
- There is a slight hygroscopicity that prevents moisture from being absorbed. As a result, sound-absorbing curtains can be used in the bathroom and kitchen.
- long service life. Soundproof curtains, due to their density, can last for decades and withstand any conditions.
- high power. The finished products are not exposed to UV rays, so they do not lose their aesthetic appearance, and the canvases are not deformed.
- elimination of echo. Because the presence of curtains fills the emptiness in the room, any echoes of any sounds are completely excluded;
- fire protection (most curtain models have this property). Canvases are treated with a special impregnation to reduce susceptibility to Gorenje for this purpose.
Only the fact that the canvases are quite heavy and expensive stands out as a disadvantage of acoustic curtains. It is necessary for them to devise a unique fastening structure. Otherwise, there is a risk of damaging not only the wall to which it will be attached but also the matter itself.
Variants of acoustic fabrics used for sound-absorbing curtains
There are several fabric variants used in the production of noise-canceling curtains. Consider the following characteristics:
- sound-absorbing. This is a unique material that prevents sound waves from propagating further when they strike it. It will also help you if there are a lot of dB-reflecting objects in the room, such as walls, glass, ceilings, and floors. If there are a lot of hard surfaces in the room, this type of material is justified.
- Soundproof. These fabrics are specifically designed to keep street noise out of the room. Furthermore, it can reflect sound from neighbors through walls or return noise from stairwells.
- acoustic transparency. A fabric of this type can only affect sound quality; it cannot absorb sound waves. The primary goal of these canvases is to improve the properties of various audio installations, such as those found in recording studios.
Fabrics with excellent sound-deadening properties include:
- Velvet. It is extremely dense. It is permitted to hang noise-canceling curtains from it on windows and walls.
- Blackout. Not only does it keep out extraneous noise, but it also has a decorative effect.
- Curtains with multiple layers. They are frequently made up of various raw materials sewn together into a single cloth. Such curtains will provide not only noise reduction but also thermal insulation. As a result, they are used as a partition in rooms or offices.
Curtains with a soundproofing effect do not require special care, and wet cleaning is only used in extreme cases. It is sufficient to vacuum them on both sides; however, it is preferable to remove them from the mounting for convenience.
Important! When purchasing acoustic curtains, make certain that they are not counterfeit. Feel the power, density, and weight. Branded models are usually accompanied by special packaging and documentation.
Acoustic curtains are a heavy, expensive, and long-lasting material. It is useful in rooms where curtains perform multiple functions. The most important thing is to choose models with good qualities and to use them correctly in the future to extend their service life.
I joined Appartenville in February 2021 as a content editor. After studying English literature at university, I worked as an e-commerce website editor, content author, and purchasing intern for several independent luxury and lifestyle retail companies. My role at Appartenville combines my love, experience, and passion for the world of design and the desire to create inspiring written content. As for my personal style, I am a big fan of color and drawing, especially I like the pastel color scheme. I also enjoy discovering new trends, brands, and products, whether it’s fashion, interior design, or lifestyle my wish list for buying new things is endless.